Anchor Center for Blind Children is a not-for profit organization dedicated to providing early intervention/education to blind and visually impaired children throughout the state of Colorado. Our staff of highly trained vision specialists, therapists and teachers strive to foster the full potential of children who are blind by providing exemplary education, therapy and family support services.
The mission of Anchor Center for Blind Children is to teach visually impaired infants, young children and their families, providing hope and a nurturing environment where children reach their highest potential.
"Seeing Life Differently!"
Anchor Center for Blind Children was founded in 1982 by a librarian from the Colorado Library for the Blind, who saw a need for services for blind and visually impaired children, and the local Delta Gamma Alumnae chapter. The first group of children included four preschool students and six home bound infants. Today Anchor Center serves more than 400 children each year.
Anchor Center offers Infant, Toddler, Preschool, Home Visit, Family Support and Outreach Programs. We teach the children life skills such as mobility and pre-literacy and prepare them for kindergarten in the public school system.
- Served 382 children and families through center-based services, home visits and rural outreach.
- Teachers and therapists provided over 437 home visits to children too medically fragile to attend center-based services.
- Completed 8 outreach trips to support families in rural areas.
- Staff participated in 69 IFSP/IEP meetings, which are planning/goal setting meetings required by law for all children with disabilities.
- Family Support/Education staff held 136 parent/family group meetings on a variety of topics, including specific visual diagnoses.
- Provided 101 eye exams to children who receive our services and also to children referred to the program.
- Our new respite program with the Denver School of Nursing served 123 children and gave their parents and caregivers a night off.
Anchor Center is the only private organization in Colorado serving children from birth to 5 years-old who are blind, visually impaired or deafblind.